What is Multiple Sclerosis
A neurological disorder affecting the insulation (myelin) surrounding nerves in the brain and spinal cord. Destruction of the myelin causes scar-like tissue (scleratic plaque) to form. This demyelination interferes with normal transmission of nerve impulses resulting in various symptoms. MS is considered to be an auto-immune disease. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_sclerosisHow does Multiple Sclerosis manifest?
Even though MS is usually portrayed as a devastating disease, actually the majority of people with MS are not severely debilitated:
- Most people are able to live relatively normal and healthy lives.
- Some may experience only a few mild, fleeting symptoms.
- Some may experience a series of attacks with partial or complete recoveries or remissions.
- Some may experience symptoms that remain stable over many years
- Some may experience symptoms that worsen quickly or gradually over time.
- MS is often characterized by an erratic or unpredictable course.